Dating is a minefield, isn’t it? There are so many things that you need to do right and can’t do wrong. We at Easyfindadate have come up with a list of things you really, really don’t want to do on your date.
1. Arrive late. I am not talking 10 minutes late because you couldn’t get a parking or weren’t sure exactly where the restaurant was. Arriving an hour late is not on and the only reason she probably waited for you was to make sure you knew exactly how she felt about being left sitting on her own for an hour. Stuff happens – pick up the phone and let them know.
2. Get drunk. Nothing wrong with a glass of wine or two but getting totally plastered is never a good idea when you are in the first stages of dating. We all do stupid things when we are drunk. So rather save the binge drinking for your mates.
3. Take her to an Italian restaurant when she told you (a few times) she is lactose and gluten intolerant. The fact that you didn’t listen to her when she told you she couldn’t eat pasta or cheese sauce will not endear you to her. In fact you may not even make it through the date.
4. Forget to turn the volume down on your phone. There is nothing worse than having dinner or drinks interrupted by a phone ringing constantly. Actually there is something worse – a phone being answered or messages being replied to while on a date! When you hang up and walk back to the table you may find it empty!
5. Talk about religion. If you don’t know the religious denomination of your date do not start slagging off Muslims or bible banging Christians.
6. Forget to tell her the dress code. If the restaurant you are going to is smart then let her know not to wear jeans. If it’s a jeans type of place – let her know too. Women tend to get dressed up and arriving in her sexy black dress with heels that were the same price as her house while everyone else is in jeans, will not score you any points.
7. Forget her name. I really do not need to expand on this one! Just don’t do it.
8. Don’t leave a tip. The amount of tip a man leaves says a lot about him. No really it does! If you don’t want another date then leave nothing. If you would like to see her again then leave a little more than the obligatory amount.
9. Over compliment her. We all want to hear we look sexy or smell like a field of lavenders. But once you have said it – we got it. Let it go.
10. Mention how much you earn – over and over. Yes you may be super proud of yourself but often pride can be seen as arrogance. Just make sure you leave a decent tip – she will get the subtlety.
11. Talk about your ex. This may be the biggest date spoiler. Bitterness and anger are not attractive qualities. So as hard as it may be try avoid sharing your intense hatred for the women who broke your heart.
12. Ask to sit in the smoking section. Even if you smoke, don’t do it.
13. Mention all the other people who you chat to from the site. If you met online do not tell her how many other women you are currently chatting with. It may impress your buddies but it’s not likely to make her want to stick around.
14. Talk about work! Mentioning what you do is cool. Going in to detail about how your boss is the devil incarnate is not so cool.
15. Order a meal you have never had before. This can seriously blow up in your face – literally. Especially if you aren’t sure what’s in it and end up having an allergic reaction. Rather stick to what you know!
16. Don’t offer to pay! Both parties need to at least offer to pay. Generally the guy should insist on paying but at least the offer was made.
17. Take extended bathroom trips! Girls there is no need to check your make-up after every course. Don’t be surprised if you come back from “powdering your nose” to the bill and no one to split it with.
18. Be rude to the restaurant staff. There is no excuse for this and no need to do it. If it happens once I can still look past it, do it again and I am out of there.
19. Wear your hold them all in knickers! I have no idea why these were created. Yes they hold it all in UNTIL you have to take it all off then it all falls out anyway and he may not stick around for that. So ditch them.
Just like Bridget Jones, your big knickers could be your undoing
20. Forget to brush your teeth. Dates often happen straight from work and obviously that means your time is limited but make sure you at least get a pack of Dentyne. Conversation is a little hard when you need a gas mask to get near to the person.